Friday, October 5, 2012

I see the light

I realized last night that I might actually, (finally,) be starting to enjoy this whole motherhood thing. While some of you might smugly be thinking 'what does she know? Her kid's only 19 months old, just wait until.... (insert horrible upcoming childhood phase)', I see it differently. I see it as the light at the end of a grim, dark tunnel.

The last couple of years have taught me some things about myself:
  • I don't enjoy pregnancy
  • My body does not naturally know how to give birth
  • I don't enjoy taking care of a baby
  • I have too little patience to deal with a baby
But that is over now. The Little Ninja isn't a baby anymore! And should we indeed choose never to have another child, that I am done with all that shit forever. (Cheer with me!)

The mind-numbingly frustrating period of crying and guessing and not sleeping, called babyhood, is over, and I see the light of childhood. The Little Ninja walks and talks. He can do stuff. He understands what I say (generally). I understand what he says (50/50, maybe). I can actually teach him stuff now. Stuff that he learns and remembers.

But it's such a huge difference, hanging out and playing with this little boy from carrying around the demanding baby. I actually like it now. It almost makes me want to have another! (Insert ironic laugh/cry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment