Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Buying a car: form or function?

I'm in the process of buying my first car (shut up; I'm only 33). The process is kicking my ass.

I'm not all that good at easy, inconsequential decisions, like what to eat for dinner or what should I wear? A big, momentous decision like this will likely take me months, if not years, at which time I'll just randomly impulse-buy something because I'm so fed up with the whole thing. OK, it might not take that long, but it will still probably end in eeny-meany-miny-moe. I'm hoping to make a more reasoned decision before it comes to that.

Deciding which car to buy has been taking up serious brain space ever since I finally got my Dutch driver's licence, back in June. I narrowed it down to the class of car and basically decided to buy new, but I got distracted by press releases about the new Renault Clio, which wasn't out yet and decided to hold off on any decision until I could see and drive that one for myself.

Fast-forward four months to now. The car has arrived at Renault dealerships across the country. I've seen the car. I've driven it. I drank the bottle of wine they gave me in celebration of the car's launch. And now I can't make up my mind which one to buy.

I didn't realise the joyous process of buying a car was so freakin' difficult.

These are the two finalists:
Renault Clio IV
Pros: GORGEOUS. Easy Isofix system for child car seats. GORGEOUS. Renault has a good (prestigious) name. GORGEOUS. Total customisation. Fancy touch-screen with GPS.
Cons: More expensive. 2-year warranty. Cheap/flimsy/weird rear door handles. Relatively big blind spot. The clutch vibrates a lot. 4 month wait on delivery.

Hyundai i20
Pros: Cheaper. 5-year warranty. No wait time. Basically no blind spot.
Cons: No 'wow' factor.

I can see that logically I should choose the Hyundai. But aesthetics aren't about logic. Clearly there's something to be said for driving in a nice car, or who would ever buy fancy sports cars? and this is my first car. It's a big deal to me. But how much is the prestige worth? Is feeling like a million bucks worth a few thousand euros and a 4 month wait?

So it's come down to form or function. Do I go for looks or reliability? Am I prepared to pay more and wait longer for the looks? Or should I give in to reason and the amazing warranty (can be extended to 7 years). That's a lot of years of not worrying about my car....

Gaaaa. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment