Friday, October 19, 2012

Preparing for winter hibernation - anno 2012

I'm starting to notice a trend. I tend to buy more in the fall.

Is this some modern throwback to when we actually did have to stock stuff up to last through the winter? Is there some instinctive compulsion to buy stuff when the leaves start to change?

My compulsion isn't to stock up on food, however, as such a theory might suggest. I just buy all the other stuff I've wanted for too long: a new phone, a new computer, clothes, a new car (I hope I hope I hope).

What is it about fall that makes me want to shop? (And why do I loathe shopping the rest of the year?) Is there an internal resistance the rest of the year that somehow weakens once school goes back?

Or is it indeed the information age pre-hibernation instinct: get all the good stuff in house so you don't have to go out once the winter arrives?

No comments:

Post a Comment