Saturday, August 6, 2011

Did I disappear?

Since I had The Little Ninja, I've noticed that people don't seem to see me anymore. As I speed-walk with my stroller to the daycare, I pass others who, without fail, stare at The Little Ninja in the stroller and never even make eye contact with me. Oddly, even when the stroller is empty after I've dropped him off, they still just look, puzzled, at the empty stroller. Am I invisible?

I admit, an empty stroller pushing itself down the street would be rather perplexing. As would a stroller seemingly being driven by its tiny occupant.

It goes further than invisibility, however. People, even close friends and family, ignore my well-being completely. No one ever asks how I am anymore; the only question I get asked is how he is. We're both just fine thanks. I mean, it's not that I don't want them to ask about The Little Ninja. I just feel left out.

In my weekly phone call with my Dad, for example, all of his questions are about The Little Ninja. As if I didn't exist other than as his spokesperson. Am I jealous? I guess, sort of. My own Dad ignores me for his grandson. And then, just to be able to tell him what's going on with me (because he'd still be hurt if I didn't tell him something important), I have to interrupt before he hangs up, as he assumes the conversation is over after he's been reassured that his grandson is doing well and has updated me on the weather in Toronto.

My Dad is kind of addicted to weather updates. His favourite station is The Weather Network. We cannot have a conversation that does not include the weather. Although he finds it more important to inform me of their weather than to ask about mine. It might just be taking small talk too far and not realising that a) I don't care and b) that small talk is for strangers and not so much family, unless it has a reason to be important. Like that the airport is snowed in and my flight might be cancelled. For example.

But I digress.

The point is, I feel like I suddenly became completely unworthy of attention. (Which I why I'm spilling my guts to you, Internet. Maybe no one will ever read this blog, but I know that at least you will record my bitching for posterity. To you, Internet, I matter. And for now, I guess that's enough.)

No comments:

Post a Comment