Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My supernova bruise

Today someone commented on the fine bruise I have on my elbow and asked about it. So I'll share it with you too, Internet. See, I scraped my elbow when I fell down the stairs the other day and a day later a cool ring bruise appeared around the scrape. I'm not fooled. The whole thing is bruised, you just can't see it where the scrape is.

And how, you ask, did I manage to fall down the stairs?

Well. See, normally it would never have happened, because I know my Dutch staircase is stupidly steep and the steps are just a bit too narrow, so I hold the railing. So obviously, it happened because I wasn't holding the railing.

And why wasn't I holding the railing?

Because I was holding my son.

So yes, I fell down the stairs while carrying my baby son, The Little Ninja. Ninjas being known for their athleticism, I have to hold mine with both hands or he'll escape.  So down the stairs we slid, me on my back, trying to stop us, and The Little Ninja on me, still trying to escape. As a result, I rug-burned/scraped my left elbow and right foot as well as my lower back. I wrenched my right knee and strained various muscles all over my body. I've been limping around like an arthritic granny for the past few days.

Luckily, ninjas also being acrobatic and skilled at tumbling, The Little Ninja emerged unscathed. He was surprised into crying and may possibly have bumped his head on one or two of the steps, but he stopped crying after about a minute and was his usual happy self. I, on the other hand, continued to cry. Not because of the pain, which was unpleasant but bearable, (I gave birth less than six months ago; I can still remember the pain. Come on, this was nothing.) but because of how close I had come to seriously injuring my son. I guess they were tears of relief that he was okay. They felt like tears of shame that I was the worst mom ever.

I understand now what moms everywhere say: I would do anything to keep my child safe. A stunning supernova bruise for defending him from the staircase? Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment